A notice for anyone walking their dogs on the beaches along the Silver Coastline in Portugal.
On the morning of Wednesday 22nd July 2015 in Baleal near Peniche there was a lot of congealed palm oil washed up on the beach. The palm oil comes from the ships flushing their tanks and once it mixes with seawater it congeals. It looks like large lumps of wax (see photo below).
Palm oil once in this solidified form is very toxic to dogs causing vomiting and diarrhoea, plus possible pancreatitis, kidney and liver failure and death.
As dogs are attracted to the oil please be on the look out if you are walking your dog on the beach. I would advise either keeping your dog on lead, putting a basket muzzle on your dog or avoiding the beaches at the moment.
If you suspect your dog has ingested any palm oil get them to your vet / or closest vet to you at the time immediately!